Politechnika Łódzka (the Lodz University of Technical - LUT) came into existence in 1945 as governmental, public body, initially with 3 Faculties of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Chemistry. Together with its development new faculties were established, up to the present number of 9 faculties, 70 institutes and departments and 113 specializations. In 1992 the International Faculty of Engineering was set up for teaching students in English and French. TUL offers a possibility of obtaining the following degrees: Bachelor/Master of Arts, Bachelor/Master of Science, Master of Science and Doctorate (PhD) of Philosophy. There are 21 000 students (including 800 PhD students) and approximately 3 000 staff members at the University.
Over 1500 academics work at TUL (total number of staff - over 2900). They are among the leaders in Polish and international universities in research in numerous areas of science and technology. A large number of the research is devoted to applications of new technologies and materials. The best TUL's represented fields of science are mechanical engineering biotechnology, electronics and telecommunication, computer science, materials engineering, technologies and nanotechnologies applied in technique, medicine, environmental protection, as well as improvement of food safety and quality.
The International cooperation includes students exchange and scientific projects. Technical University of Lodz cooperates with over 300 institutions in 40 countries. It provides several dozen of international research projects, and also takes active part in EU Framework Programs (15 projects in FP5 and 30 in FP6, 7 in FP7).
The history of the Technical University of Lodz starts in 1945, but the beginnings of the Department of Automatics and Biomechanics come back to 1964 when Prof. Z. Parszewski founded the Department of Mechanics and Machines. In 1970 the Department was transformed into the Department of Theory of Machines and Mechanisms in the newly founded Institute of Applied Mechanics headed by Prof. Z. Parszewski, and next by Associate Prof. M. Roszkowski and Associate Prof. K. Grossman (1981-1991).
In 1991 the Institute of Applied Mechanics was divided into three independent departments, one of them being the Department of Dynamics of Machines headed by Prof. J. Awrejcewicz, who in 1992 became the head of the Group of Nonlinear Dynamics. In 1994 the Department of Control and Biomechanics headed by Prof. J. Awrejcewicz was founded at the Institute of Turbomachinery. On July 1, 1998, according to the motion of the Council of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, the Rector of the Technical University of Lodz founded the Department of Automatics and Biomechanics (K16) as an independent unit of the Technical University of Lodz. In 2006 a new Mechatronics course was created. In October 2013 our Department renames to Department of Automation, Biomechanics and Mechatronics.